I am Unix and Storage System Engineer/Architect with over 22-year work experience, in which 10-years were of management/lead role including mid-level position. In my recent IBM position, I did architect, built from ground up and managed 3 separate Data Centers, I did hire people and managed them. Computers and photography are my passion in life. Before Super Storm Sandy I used to have a mini data center in my basement where I could “play” with new software OS and applications, where I could configure and test different setups and configurations. I love to get my hands on new technologies, learn new skills and just be on top of everything. I am geek at heart but I do enjoy working with people. I am very dedicated and committed individual, I take my work seriously and can deliver results.
Senior IT Specialist – Watson Cognitieve Client Experience Center Systems Engineer
Cognitive computing is poised to systematically transform how organizations think, act, and operate, with IBM Watson leading the charge in this revolutionary new era of computing. I was part of the team responsible for the flagship Client Experience Center in the Watson group, which are a state of the art facilities capable of taking our key clients through real world immersive cognitive computing experiences, various Watson live integrated systems and provides innovation rooms for client discussions equipped with the most sophisticated collaboration technologies in the industry
• I am part of the Watson Client Experience Center my job and responsibility is to run complete center, from Server (UNIX and Windows) trough networking and SAN infrastructure including big XIV to Power and cooling. I did architect 3 data centers for client experience center in Austin, Cambridge and San Francisco. I did spec the power and cooling requirements, patch panels, cabinets, networking, san, storage, then I implemented the designed solution and helped maintain all while running the Astor Client Experience Center. Having managed 4 separate Data Centers made me aware of so many aspects of day to day challenges with such installations, challenges such as cooling, failures, leaks, security just to mention few.
• Unix, Windows, OSX and VMWare systems administration (RedHat 6, Ubuntu 12, 14 and 16), Windows (7, 8, 10, 2012 R2), VMWare (5.5, 6.0 an 6.5), OSX. Administration consisted of setup and installation, recovery, maintenance, patching and administration across multiple datacenters (in client experience centers which I managed)
• Interviewed and hired personnel to help maintain datacenters that I did build. Implemented support across those sites with full remote administration via all LAN supported devices across all the sites (Power strips, IMM, lom, ilom’s etc)
• Supported DevOps environment (GitHub, Docker, Ansible, etc.)
• Supported Applications in IBM Hybrid Cloud environment.
• Setup and administered IBM SAN XIV 2048 and V7000 Storage arrays.
• I setup CISCO 9504 and 3k switches with redundant links for vrf, vpc and hsrp, implemented all the necessary redundancy and performance of 10 gig network with uplinks up to 40gig. Performed upgrades and updates, upgraded in New York old IBM switches with Cisco industry standards. I also did setup 16gig SAN Cisco MDS Switches to support SAN infrastructure.
• Supported global satellite experience centers across the globe (Singapore, Melbourne, Dublin, London and Rio)
• Implemented monitoring across sites via Nagios and DCNM, vCenter for VMware.
• Upgraded New York Client Experience Center power to consists UPS/Batteries and new Generator (budgeting, planning and implementation) to protect against brownouts and power failures. Implemented AirCool floor tiles and sensors for CRAC units. Maintained UPS and CRAC units, configured remote management and notifications
• Hardware: IBM/Lenovo x3850’s and 3650’s. IBM XIV and V7000. Colfax servers. Cisco Nexus 9504, 3172T. Cisco MDS 9148S and 9396S switches, Lenovo KVM’s. APC power strips.
• OS: Linux Redhat 6, Ubuntu 14, 15 and 16. Windows desktop 8.1, 10 as well Win 2012 R2 servers. VMWare 5.5 and 6.0 with vCenter.
Federal Reserve Bank of New York 2008/02/04 – 2015/07/28
Senior Unix System Engineer
• Was part of the Markets Systems Engineering team in a Federal Reserve Bank of New York. As part of Markets Business Technology staff, I support Markets Group business lines objectives trough researching, evaluating, designing and implementing various technical solutions for Group's mission-critical systems.
• Served as technical subject matter expert to the Market’s Group’s project teams.
• Designed and Implemented system infrastructure components as well as non-functional system solutions and processes.
• Interacted with Bank’s Information Security and Audit teams to ensure that proposed system solutions adhere to FRS policies and standards. Implemented System Security Guidelines based on those interactions for RedHat and Solaris systems.
• Helped implement centrify for two factor authentication enforcement using Kerberos, AD and ED (LDAP setup for various applications). Also helped implement centrify direct audit to log every activity of users connected to all unix servers. Setup reporting and auditing. Full engineered solution to satisfy auditing and logging requirements.
• Taking major part in migration from centrify old classical zones to new hierarchical zone structure including Active Directory structure.
• HP Server Automation (SA 9.04/10.21) and Orchestrator (OO 9.0/10) design, implementation, upgrades and support. Started with Opsware 6.5, 6.6, 7.0, 7.50 and 7.84. App Configs/Templates, creating policies, maintenance, patching, user administration etc. Virtually I am a primary Opsware (HP Server Automation) go to guy here at the FED. Extensive work on HP Server automation templates and policies. I did implement unattended build procedures via HP Server Automation solution for Solaris, Linux Red Hat and VM servers.
• Introduced my group to RedHat 4 and 5 as primary platform used to be Solaris 8/10 only. Designed security policies, procedures, implementation and automation.
• Took major part on the Engineering team for the Data Center Migration project.
• Extensive knowledge of Solaris 10 zones and zfs
• Major involvement with Linux virtualization, both on ESX and RedHat.
• Did implement unattended build procedures via HP Server Automation solution for Solaris, Linux Red Hat and VM servers.
• Solaris 10 U2 to U6 as well most recent U10/U11 migration, designed complete plan and procedures for upgrade.
• HP/3PAR SAN knowledge, monitoring, tools, snapshots, thin provisioning, volume tuning. S400 and T400. Working on DataCenter migration from storage perspective to replace T400 with 7400 or newly announced 8000 series 3PAR. Capacity planning, setup and configuration matrix, quotes/budgets, plans for migration.
• As a main storage architect I am architecting next storage solution for Markets group using latest SAN technology.
• MDS9506 support, maintenance, upgrades, TEACACS+ integration, loging, security.
• Evaluated Oracle OpsCenter for OS provisioning and automation.
• Software: Apache 2.x, Oracle 10g & 11g, MySQL (stand alone and cluster). Veritas Cluster, Volume Manager, Veritas Storage Foundation, WebSphere 6 & 6.1, Veritas Netbackup 6.5, 7.0 & Pure Disk, TCPWrapper, IPChains, IPFilter, OpenSSH. TCP/IP, sendmail, bind, Solaris ZFS, Solaris Zones/Containers, HP Server Automation (SA 6.5, 7.0, 7.50, 7.84 & 9.04), HP Opsware Orchestrator 7.51 & 9.0
• Hardware: T4’s, M4000, V880, X4100, T2000, Sun-Fire 480R, V490, 280R, V245, V240, E4500, V440, switches Catalyst series, CISCO MDS 9506, SAN 3PAR S400/T400/7400 Series
• OS: Solaris 8, 10 & 11 (SPARC). Linux RedHat ES Release 4, 5 & 6, VMVARE 3.5, Oracle
HealthMarkets Adminitrative Services Group
UICI Small Group Division 2006/08/28 - 2008/02/01
Senior Unix System Administrator
• Responsible for system 24/7 availability and security.
• I did Data Center reallocation from NYC to TX. Designed and implemented UNIX server migration. Consolidated servers utilizing Solaris 10 containers/zones and zfs. Migrated Linux jboss servers into Solaris 10 zones. Drastically reduced footprint.
• Implemented new development and QA environments based on datacenter migration so that they are exactly the same. Worked with developers to develop deployment scripts and procedures.
• Working on new disaster recovery strategy and implementation for our new Texas Data Center.
• Involved with new Oracle SOA and Application servers, code deployments, troubleshooting.
• Did setup new EMC Clarion CX320 from Dell, installed PowerPath. Maintaining it. Also had to upgrade enclosure to gain more storage.
• Daily UNIX system administration, backups, code deployments and troubleshooting
• Cloned various production environments using Solaris 10 zones for demo presentation purposes
• Configured and implemented awstats to collect web servers, mail gateway and ftp server statistics.
• Implemented Nagios service monitoring tool to monitor the network infrastructure at two data centers in NYC and CT. Setup Apache web server to display output from Nagios. Created custom Nagios plugins to monitor network interface usage and errors. Configured Nagios to report performance data and setup MRTG to display this data.
• Proposed complete plan to move out of our current data center in NYC to a new location in TX.
• Enhanced backup with backups to disk, upgraded NetBackup 4.5 to 6.0 MP3/MP4
• Implementing Solaris zones to consolidate servers, using zfs file systems, snapshots, implemented and utilized zfs send and receive feature to transfer incremental zfs snapshots between locations.
• Maintaining DNS and sendmail including over 3000 virtual user. Implemented ClamAV, spammassasin and DSPAM to filter incoming SPAM mail.
• Hardware and OS installation (Linux RedHat and Solaris 10) on Sparc, Intel and AMD platforms; configured for SAN, clustering and Oracle 10g DB and applications including Oracle Portal Application. Assisted in Oracle RAC implementation.
• Maintaining and administering HP StorageWorks 4000 (EVA4000) and HP SAN switches.
• Software: Netscape 4.x & 6.x, Apache 1.3.x & 2.x, Oracle 8.1.7, 9i and 10g, MySQL. Veritas Cluster, Volume Manager, Veritas Storage Foundation, Sun Volume Manager, JBoss 3.2.5, Veritas Netbackup 4.5PM6 & 6.0MP3, TCPWrapper, IPChains, IPFilter, SiteScope, OpenSSH. TCP/IP, sendmail, bind, Solaris ZFS, Solaris Zones/Containers, CITRIX, BMC Control-M
• Hardware: V880, X4100, T2000, Sun-Fire 480R, V490, 280R, V245, V240, E4500, V440, E450, E250. Local Director 430, Big IP F5, hubs & switches Catalyst series, StorEdge D1000, LTO3, SAN Qlogic SANbox 5600, HP MSL6030 & Dell ML6010 Tape Libraries with LTO-3 drives, HP SAN EVA4000 (HP StorageWorks 4000), HP SAN EVA6000, EMC Clarion CX320.
• OS: Solaris 7, 8, 9 and 10 (SPARC, INTEL and AMD64). Linux RedHat ES Release 3 & 4, Linux kernel 2.4.21 – 2.6.9, Win 2000/XP/2003, ALOM, RSC, ILOM, OBP, VMVARE
• Languages: AJAX, PHP4, PHP5, bash, ksh & perl. Light knowledge of HTML, XML & DHTML.
Sotheby's Inc. 2000/01/10 - 2006/08/25
Senior Unix System Administrator / Manager
• Supervise day to day UNIX system administrator team tasks.
• Manage and negotiate vendor relations and maintenance contracts.
• Responsible for system 24/7 availability and security
• Designing and implementing fully redundant secure internal system architecture
• Designed and implemented Disaster Recovery infrastructure for mission critical application.
• Implemented complex monitoring structure. (BigBrother, Nagios, MRTG, ORCA)
• Drastically reduced cost of operation ($950k in between 2001-2005).
• New infrastructure design and implementation, upgraded complete backup systems to new Sun Microsystems technology. Upgraded legato networker 7.1 to emc networker 7.3.2
• Did play major role in 2006 major infrastructure upgrade (hardware, OS, software & application).
• Software: Netscape 2.x, 3.6, 4.x & 6.x, Oracle 8.0.5 8.1.7 & 9i, mysql. Veritas Cluster, Volume Manager, Veritas Storage Foundation, Verity Search (k2), WebVision Auctionnet, Weblogic 5.x and 7.x, Legato, Trillium, Checkpoint FireWall-1, TCPWrapper, IPFilter, BigBrother, OpenSSH. TCP/IP, orca, sendmail, ntp, bind, ProFTPd, Solaris ZFS, DSPAM, SpamAssassin & ClamAV
• Hardware: T2000, V490, V440, E4500, E3500, V240, V210, E450, E420R, E220R, E250, U10, U5, V120, V100 and X1. Cisco 3640, Local Director 416 & 430, hubs & switches Catalyst series, StorEdge 3320, 3510, A3500, A1000, A5200, DLT7000, L8, L25, L280 & L1000. Nokia 440 and 330 Firewalls, SAN Qlogic SANbox 5600
• OS: Solaris 2.5, 2.6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. Also know Linux Kernel 2.1.x, 2.4.x, RedHat 8, Win 2k/XP
• Languages: PHP4, PHP5, bash, ksh & perl. Light knowledge of HTML, XML, DHTML & AJAX.
Queens Internet Service Corp. 1995 - 2000
System Engineer / Manager / Owner
• Initial setup, design and implementation of a company.
• Vendor relationship, contracts, projects and management were the major part of my responsibilities.
• Managing Sun and Linux servers, Cisco routers, dialup servers and internet servers such as email (pop3, imap and smtp), ftp, web (apache with perl and php3), database (mysql), DNS, Radius.
• Light programming in languages such as C/C++, perl, php3, java script, shell, bash, ksh.
• Light web design (html programming)
• High networking and Internet background (founded the company and made it grow up to this point, set up all the equipment such as servers, routers, dialups, switches and hubs).
• High technical skills such as building and fixing computers, finding and fixing network problems.
• Microsoft knowledge and support (Windows 95, 98, NT and 2000)
• Project management and customer relationship were the key steps to success as our Internet Services grew. Provided Web Services to many private and public Customers. Created websites. Needed to deliver quality of services and keep competitive timelines. Coordinated efforts of many people for the success of the company.
1990 - 1995 Brooklyn College Brooklyn, NY
1988 - 1989 Beach Channel HS Rockaway Park, NY
1985 - 1988 Technical Radio and TV School Katowice, Poland
Electronic Technician (Fixing and repair of TV's and Radios)
I have many skills in technology, especially Unix world. I am using computers since I was 12 year old; I have 22-year work experience. When I started my own company where there was no google, Linux kernel had to be compiled, Solaris was at version 2.4, all the knowledge had to be acquired in many different ways, so I had to learn all on my own by research, books, manuals and many failures, but because of this experience I did learn quite a lot on my own and I am very proud of it, it also gives me ability to learn virtually anything that I desire from simple tasks throughout tasks of running a Data Centers around the world. During my long computer experience, I attended many different training courses, seminars and conferences. For example, I did take Veritas FS and VCS training, WebLogic Administration, IBM WebSphere Administration, I am also Red Hat Certified. I know ESX, SUN and Red Hat virtualization, also am proficient in Windows and MAC OS environments, administration and setup. I did architect and managed SAN storage from EMC, HP and IBM, manages Brocade and Cisco MDS SAN Switches. I setup networks using CISCO gear with latest 10/40 gig networks. I am quite dedicated to what I do. I always provide quality of work in everything that I do. I have great personality and make friends everywhere. I do get quite well with others. My other passion is Photography and Video production. I learned aspects of photography and was able to shoot Fashion Runways shows from New York Fashion Weeks to Miami Swimsuit Fashion Week, shot many sports tournaments and my photos were published in various magazines across the globe. Because of my passion for photography I was also able to shoot many events at IBM. Everything that I do I always do with passion and give 200% of what I got.
Referrals can be delivered upon request, but certainly have many of them.